Saturday, September 22, 2007

Women in Yoga Classes

I thought I would just briefly write about the numbers of women in yoga classes. Yoga Classes in the US are mostly women. I've been teaching yoga about ten years and have probably only had about ten male students total. Right now, I have one male student who attends regularly. I have noticed that there are more men who do yoga in Austin, particularly at YogaYoga.

At the Senior Instructor Level of the Iyengar World, there are more women than men, but not at the same dispporportionate level. At the Institute, it seemed like there were more women than men, but a lot more men than in a regular class in the US. B.K.S Iyengar himself taught women very early on when it was not really socially acceptable to do so

B.K.S Iyengar says that yoga is for everybody.

No comments: