Thursday, July 5, 2007

Near Death Experiences - Why the chicken really crossed the road

I kid you not. Crossing the street in Pune is not to be taken lightly. For a variety of reasons, needing a phone card, getting money changed, needing supplies of various sorts, and a break in the rain, led Christina and I to venture out of our immediate neighborhood and down Fergeuson College Road. I won't be doing that again any time soon. There is so much traffic, so little side walk, it is slow going. Almost every step involves some peril, some peril is minor like a wobbly sidewalk stone, other peril is major like an oncoming rickshaw or bus. At one point, we had no idea how we were going to cross the street and finally we saw an Indian woman making a break for it, literally, she was weaving between streams of traffic and we just stayed one step behind her and made it across.

One of the five obstacles that we need to overcome in yoga practice is fear of death, abinhivhesa. well, the pune streets are good practice in confronting that particular obstacle.

Somehow, I was prepared for the yoga to be gruelling on many levels, pyschologically or physically, I was not prepared for how much energy it takes just to navigate getting around here. The yoga is totally worth it, it is just funny what you worry about.

This morning we had a lovely practice time. b.k.s. walked right by our mats on his way in. That was thrilling. So far the practice hall times are my favorite thing about being here. we have pranayama class tonight. i'm looking forward to that as my nerves really need to be soothed.

it is hard to believe we've been gone a week! Every day has so many events and things to experience...it seems like I've been gone far longer.

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

"PRASHANTIFIED" That is hilarious.
Anne, I'm happy to know you are safe and having a good time.

Mary, my 6 year old, this morning while I was doing yoga, said, "Mommy, are there any yoga competitions?" "No." I told her. "Yoga is not about beating anybody." She seemed to understand this instinctively and I think that is why she posed the question. It made me realize one more reason why I love yoga. Thanks for posting, Anne. We are thinking of you in Waco -- where it is also monsoon season!

H. Wright said...

What's the food like so far? Your description of foot travels sounds harrowing. Cheers.

curtis said...

Sounds to me like ya'll are having fun and doing fine in spite of the omnipresent danger in the street. I'm glad your enjoying it.